Wednesday, May 5, 2010

"ALL SHOOK UP"


By Rob Bailes

Ever been all shook up?

Sometimes things happen in our lives without warning and we find ourselves all shook up and reacting purely on instinct. That's when others see what we really are made of and how we really think. If you ever wanted to know what someone was really like, watch them in a moment of crisis or panic. It's not because they are not thinking clearly that they act the way they do either! It's who they really are and who they are really and truly are coming to the surface. I'm sure we all could do some things that would surprise each other as well.

There's a passage recorded by the apostle Luke where Jesus is talking about this and how our decisions cause us to react differently. But first of all, Jesus asks a question,

Luke 6:46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

Let's take a look at the Greek word for "Lord".
The Greek word is kurios
It is pronounced koo'-ree-os
From κῦρος kuros (supremacy); supreme in authority, that is, (as noun) controller; by implication Mr. (as a respectful title): - God, Lord, master, Sir.

Translated into literal Greek meaning, couldn't we say that Jesus was saying in this passage, "Why do you call me supreme in authority? Why do you say I'm your controller? Why do you address me with respect as your Lord? Yet, you don't do the things I have told you to do!"

Then Jesus tells the Pharisees something that most likely was a bit uncomfortable for them to take! As a matter of fact, it might be a bit hard for some of us to read this even today, thousands of years later!

Luke 6:47-49
47 Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like:
48 He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.
49 But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.

Many of those Pharisees may have just scratched their heads and went home from the meeting that day, just as many of have done on Saturday or Sunday after our church services. It could be because the truth of God's Word isn't being taught, BUT it could also be because of the decision some of us have made to walk out of the church and just do as we please!

" I hear you Pastor" or "I hear you Sunday School teacher", "but I know what I'm doing and everything is just fine!" "Just look at my life and all that I have been blessed with!"

You can act as if God is in control and call out to Him in public prayer as though you have a tight relationship with God, but when you leave and go your own way and do as you please, regardless of the Lord's teachings, you are like a man who has built his house (his life) on the soil and the troubles of life will take all that you have built and wash it away!

What does it say about the way that the house falls when the flood comes and beats on the house of this man? It says that it immediately fell and the ruins of that house were great. That doesn't mean that it was wonderful! It means it was totalled!

You know how we describe a car that cannot be driven after an accident? Totally useless for anyone once the collision has happened? It is totalled! All of the damage and loss that someone sustains when they have built on the soil could have been prevented! If they had listened and truly meant it when they called out to the Lord. They would have built their foundaiton for life on the solid rock. They would have stood firm in their life!

I am still learning about this practice. "What practice?", you may ask.

When I call the Lord my supreme controller and He speaks to me through the Word or a message; to go and do what I have been instructed by my Lord to do without changing it around or trying to figure out a way to justify adding to it something that I want.

To do it His way, not my way!

Maybe you find this a bit offensive because you've been doing just fine all by yourself without God's involvement, other than when it's time to go to church. My friend, you will see a time come when God will allow the troubles to come and test your foundation. It will hold firm or it will wash out!

I hope that you have chosen to do the right thing. Next time you call out,"Oh Lord...", take a look in your heart and see if it reflects the teachings of the Word of God. The Lord wants what's best for you! The Lord loves you!

Click HERE to learn more about "Foundations of Faith Ministries"

No comments:

Post a Comment