Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Fathering the Heart - Practical Lessons

Fathering the Heart means
Imparting a Practical Education

Practical education moves beyond theoretical.

"My Son" appears 23 times in Proverbs.
Only sons are mentioned because the son
received formal education at the time, but these principles apply to girls and boys alike.




Proverbs 1:8  My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother:

A few more examples to consider;

(Prov 1:10)  My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.
(Prov 1:15)  My son, walk not thou in the way with them; refrain thy foot from their path:
(Prov 2:1)  My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee;
(Prov 2:5)  Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.
(Prov 3:1)  My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments:
(Prov 3:11)  My son, despise not the chastening of the LORD; neither be weary of his correction:
(Prov 3:21)  My son, let not them depart from thine eyes: keep sound wisdom and discretion:

What an impressive manual for not just moral wisdom but for snake lessons of practical wisdom. For example:

~ Don't talk too much. Prov. 10:19
~ Think before speaking. Prov. 13:3
~ Be careful of your company. Prov. 13:20
~ Use gentle words, rather than harsh. Prov. 15:1
~ Try to understand others before asking them to understand you. Prov. 18:13
~ Be fair & honest in your work. Prov. 11:1
~ Be big enough to "let the small stuff go". Prov. 12:16
~ Don't co-sign for someone else's debts. Prov. 11:15

A good suggestion to help us father our children's hearts with a practical education. For the next month, read one Proverb a day to your children and discuss it's message. Then give them an illustration of how it applies- either from your life or a story you've heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment