Thursday, October 21, 2010

AWAKE - Be Strong Cont.

Doing the right thing requires strength!

It is so easy to agree with the scriptures concerning relationship and then go right on with our life as usual. That is not only a sign that we are asleep but also that we may be doing the things we do for our mates with the wrong attitude. Let's take a look, while continuing in the third chapter of Colossians, at the attitude that we are to have when we do things for each other.

Colossians 3:22,23 - Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God: 23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as unto the Lord, and not unto men;

You're probably saying to yourself by now, wait a minute, I'm not a servant! But think about this for a minute; didn't Jesus teach us to serve others? Why wouldn't that apply to our relationships at home too? I bet that was one of the first things that God taught Adam and Eve while they were out walking together in the mornings of that very first week in the Garden of Eden. I bet the temperature was perfect and the sun was just the right distance away that they didn't even break a sweat. They probably enjoyed every minute of every day!

You know what else! I'm not a betting man, but I would be willing to bet that Eve was so pleased with Adam as he served her like he was suppose to as her husband. I would also bet that Adam was just as happy because Eve served him with the right heart attitude also as his wife? This was not only the first marriage on earth, but it was the perfect marriage designed and created by the God of all our universe!

Why then, when men and women attempt to live like that, does something happen that creates friction between us? Well, we have to examine our motives and ask ourselves ,"Am I attempting to serve as unto the Lord or am I serving as unto people?". This can apply to parent/child as well.  As a servant in my home I must become humble and bring peace to my family. How? By reminding myself of the most important part of this passage. Take notice, it starts out with a command and then we learn how to live it out in our relationships successfully.

We are instructed that a servant is to obey their master. From a man's perspective I was thinking, "How would that apply to our relationship with our wife or children?".  But then it kind of sunk in slowly as I finished reading the rest of the passage. Who is my Master, I thought to myself? Who is your Master? Who do you serve in life? Then it hit me! Jesus talks all through the scriptures about how we can only serve one master, right? If you think that I am going to tell you to start calling each other "Master", I'm not. But, just imagine for a minute what a difference it would make if we treated each other as if they were the master and we were their servant?

So it got a little more confusing as I thought about the passage that says, Don't be a person pleaser using the eyes to give favor; BUT in singleness of heart fearing God. I am to do the best I can with sincerity; but fearing God alone because He alone is our only Master and we are to do it as unto Him. Wow! What kind of difference would it make if we would remember that it is God, our only Master, that we are serving every time we stop to do something for our mates, our family and our friends?

I imagine Adam and Eve before the fall of sin, feeling the perfect joy of serving God when they reached out to serve and care for each other. Try it! Serve God as you reach out to care for family and friends, I guarantee that you will experience that perfect joy as well.

One last point from passage that will strengthen our relationships is concerning the heart.

Some people can act so awesome whenever anyone is around to notice, but at home they may exibit a proud and self-centered attitude. That is what we are told not to be like when this passage tells us not to be eyepleasers. Be careful, men and women, husbands and wives, when you take notice of another man or woman that's always serving people in the eye of the public. Not that it is wrong to behave this way, but we should be focused on our own mates and what we can do to serve that special person that God has put into our lives. It is easy to put on an act in public, but your mate will know if you are doing things heartily (with your whole heart) by the way that you act in private! So, beware of this deceitful temptation to become men pleasers as this way of living doesn't follow the teachings of our Lord, our only true Master. We must do ALL that we do for the Lord and our mates will know without a doubt that they are truly appreciated and loved!

Luke 16:13 - No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other; or else he will hold to the one and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.(wealth)

No comments:

Post a Comment